Binsar is a scenic, placid and a cut-off travel destination among many tourists. Located at the height of 2,412 meters above the sea level, Binsar is situated amidst Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary. One should know that Binsar was the erstwhile summer capital of the Chand Dynasty rulers, who ruled Kumaon from the 11th to 18th century AD. Therefore, their are many places to visit in Binsar.
Due to it’s locations Binsar offers some picturesque views of Himalayan peaks such as Nanda Devi, Trisul, Chaukhamba, and Shivling. Many people come to Binsar to see the 300 kms of majestic and panoramic view of Himalayan peaks from Zero point.
This wildlife escapade in the higher reaches of Uttarakhand is home to 200+ species of migratory and native avifauna, one can also spot leopards, wild boars, ghorals, monkeys, kakars and the Himalayan black bear.
Table of Contents
- Best Time to Visit Binsar
- Places to Visit in Binsar
- Binsar Resorts and Hotel
- Things to Do in Binsar
- How to reach Binsar
Best Time to Visit Binsar
Best time to visit Binsar is in Summers from the month of October and November.
- Summers in Binsar:- In summers the climate is moderate but pleasant, lasts through the months of April, May June. Maximum temperature is nearly 30°C and a minimum temperature is around 15°C
- Monsoon in Binsar:- The rain in Binsar makes the surrounding mist and green and clouds are all around, This time is best for an romantic getaway.
- Winters in Binsar:- Winters in Binsar are very cold the maximum temperature in winters is around 24°C. and the minimum temperature can go up to 0°C. October, November, December, January and February these winter months in Binsar is the best time for nature lovers, bird watchers and honeymoon couples.
Places to Visit in Binsar
Their are some of the most recommended places to visit in binsar mentioned below.
Bineshwar Mahadev Temple
Bineshwar Mahadev Temple is the temple from which Binsar got its name. Bineshwar Mahadev Temple is a famous old temple and one of the most important attractions in Binsar. Besides being a religious place, the temple is also known for it’s architectural excellence. It is one of the ideal halting spots for tourists in a way to Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary.
This Temple is dedicated to lord shiva and famous because of the water flowing on the shiv from the roots of tree, this is easily approachable from almora. very serene and picturesque surrounding. Eeach year during Kartik Purnima, a fair is hosted here.
This place is enroute by road from Almora to Binsar,this archeological landmark is a major attraction in this Region. A short stop is well worth it for sightseeing and refreshment. Their are various activities designed by this place, It has many places to eat and dine . Not a must visit place but a 10 min stop would be good .
Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary
Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary is spread around 47 sq km. But its size belies its beauty and variety of its residents. Covering a heavily forested hilly terrain in the Kumaon hills, with a height of up to 2,400 m, the sanctuary is made up mostly of rhododendron and oaks. You can even spot leopard, Barking Deer, Himalayan bear, fox, musk deer, langur, porcupine, flying squirrel, chital, jungle cat etc. It is also a birders’ paradise with around 200 species. There are several places to stay inside, Jeep safari is very popular way to explore the Sanctuary.
A beautiful bungalow, the place was once the residence of Sir Henry Ramsay, the commissioner of Kumaon. Many Freedom fighter resided here for a while It is situated on the top of a hill surrounded by pine and oak forest. You can book this resort and have the spellbinding views outside.
Binsar Resorts and Hotel
Tree of Life Grand Oak Manor
Located in Binsar, Tree of Life Grand Oak Manor offers a garden. Featuring room service, this property also has a restaurant and a terrace with a spellbinding views. Free private parking is available and the resort also provides car rental for guests who want to explore the surrounding area.
At resort every room includes a closet. Rooms are complete with a private bathroom equipped with a hairdryer, it also provide guests with a seating area.
Binsar Forest Retreat
Featuring a terrace and Balcony, Binsar Forest Retreat offers accommodations in Binsar with views of the himalayas and the Kumaoni hills. The daily breakfast offers buffet and Asian options. Guests can grab a bite to eat in the in-house restaurant, which serves a variety of Indian and Italian dishes and also offers vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free options
Binsar Forest retreat offers a children’s playground, a business center and a car rental service are also offered by this resort.
Khali Estate has a restaurant, garden, terrace, and pet friendly. There is free private parking and the property provides paid airport shuttle service. Guest can enjoy a buffet breakfast
The rooms in the resort are equipped with an electric tea pot. Khali Estate has some accommodations that have a safety deposit box, and rooms are equipped with a private bathroom and a desk. At the accommodation all rooms come with a guest seating area.
Things to Do in Binsar
Go for an thrilling trek of 2 km to Binsar Zero point to enjoy the wilderness and surreal beauty of nature. Binsar hill is at altitude of 2,420 m is another easy trekking destination. Set amidst lush greenery, the hill offers panoramic views of the Himalayas and Kumaon hills. Trek Binsar hill for beautiful sunset and sunrise views.
Go for morning walk through the surrounding forests and rhododendron patches, with chirping birds, buzzing bee and laughing squirrels as companions.
Binsar Wildlife Safari
Binsar Wildlife sanctuary is rich in it’s flora and fauna a diverse range of birds and animals, mesmerising views of snow-covered Himalayas, lush jungles echoing with the sounds of streams and chirping of birds, and winding tracks leading into unknown adventures, Jeep safari is very popular way to explore the Sanctuary. This safari is best in Uttarakhand for birdwatching and photography.
- Indian Citizens: INR 150 per person
- Students: INR 75 per person ( You need to show your Student ID Card)
- Foreign Citizens: INR 600 per person
- Medium Vehicle: INR 500 + INR 250 (base fare)
- Heavy Vehicle: INR 800 + INR 250 (base fare)
How to reach Binsar
- By Air:- The nearest airport is of Pant Nagar from which you have to take conveyance to cover 137km for Binsar. Direct Bus services are available from Pantnagar to Binsar.
- By Rail:-The nearest railway station to Binsar is Kathgodam railway station, which is situated at a distance of 104 km from Binsar. Direct bus service is available from Kathgodam to Binsar.
- By Roaad:-Binsar is well-connected with the popular hill towns of Uttarakhand. A number of buses ply from Dehradun, Almora, Nainital and Delhi to Binsar. If you cannot find a direct bus to Binsar then you can also take a bus to Almora which is just 35 km away from Binsar.
If you are visiting Uttarakhand then their are many other popular hill stations in Uttarakhand that you should consider! – Read here