Mussoorie is also known as Queen of the Hills it is one of the most popular hill stations in the country. A captivating paradise for leisure travelers and honeymooners, it is a perfect summer resort. Located on a 15-km-long ridge with the grand Himalayas as a backdrop, Mussoorie spreads across at a height of 2,000 m above sea level. From this height, it offers scenic views of Himalayas peaks.
We do not need to describe Mussoorie because great author Ruskin Bond has already done that in his novels and poems. He used this beautiful town as the backdrop of his stories and the natural beauty of this town has created many landmarks in the field of “nature’s romanticism
Mussoorie has become a modern town where nature and modern-day amenities are developing a new eco-system of fun, frolic, and entertainment for all age groups and honeymoon couples in particular. With time, Mussoorie has also become an educational hub because of the presence of some premium educational institutes.
Best time to visit Mussorie
- Summer in Mussoorie:- Long summers that last from March to June. However, while some may expect summers to be scorching and humid here, the hill station enjoys moderately cool temperatures which offer relief from the heat. The temperatures range from 15 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius.
- Winter in Mussorie:- Winters in Mussoorie last from October to February and this season is also considered to be some of the best times to visit. This is because the entire hill station is covered in a sheet of white snow that gives the town a completely different look. The roads get blocked from mid-December to February because of snowfall.
- Monsoon in Mussorie:- Monsoon in Mussoorie lasts from July to September, covered in mist, making all sceneries look better than they would on a typical day. The monsoons, therefore, make a perfect getaway for tourists who enjoy some peace and solitude and want to catch a break from their hectic lives. Some say that the landslides are very frequent the roads to the hill station prove to be extremely dangerous and hence make it inaccessible in Monsoons.
Best Places to visit in Mussoorie
It is a man-made lake developed recently about 6 km in Mussoorie, on Dehradun road watch ducks swimming, Zip Line, ride a paddle boat, and enjoy amazing views of Doon Valley. There are several small souvenir shops, restaurants, and a horror house near the lake. So after you have had your share of fun at the lake, sit down for a delectable lunch or go for a shopping spree.
- Location: Dhobi Ghat, Mussoorie
- Timings: 8 AM – 7 PM
- Entry Fee: INR 15 for entry to the lake
Gun Hill Point is one of the most popular viewpoints in the area. Located at a distance of 1.7 km from the Mall Road you can reach here with a 30 min trek or take a cable car to reach Gun Hill. The thrill of the ride is memorable, and the peak offers surreal views of the surroundings.
- Location: Mall Road, Landour, Mussoorie
- Timings: 10 AM – 6 PM
- Entry Fee: Free
Surkanda Devi Temple
According to legends, when Lord Vishnu was destroying the physical self of Sati while Lord Shiva did tandav, Sati’s head fell on this place, Hence the temple is called the Surkanda Devi Temple. One can reach this temple with a 2km trek from kaddukhal.
Situated at the east end of the town, Landour is a British-era cantonment named after a remote village in southwest Wales. Landour was home to several Indian royal families before Independence. The Landour Market is a very popular shopping area. Landour’s cozy setting and pristine natural beauty give off a soothingly positive vibe.
At a distance of around 3 km from the Mall Road, the Company Garden in Mussoorie makes for a perfect spot to spend quality time with your family and friends, It is also known as the Botanical gardens of Mussoorie in the pre-Independence era, the Municipal Gardens or the Company Bagh has a variety of beautiful flowers and an amusement park too.
- Location: Bazar Road, Landour, Mussoorie
- Timings: 9 AM – 8 PM
- Entry Fee: INR 25
It is the main shopping area located in the heart of the town this center point is filled with shops, eateries, cafes, and tourist spots, the Mall Road is the best place to take a stroll or sit and relax in the famous restaurants or cafes.
George Everest House
Sir Everest owned this mountain house and it was built in 1832. He spent a grand total of 11 years living here and using it as his observatory and laboratory. Located 6 km from Gandhi Chowk in Mussoorie, do visit the observatory to find some insightful information about his life. The views from the heritage building sits are strikingly beautiful.
Built-in 1836, it is considered to be among the oldest churches in the Himalayan ranges built by Britishers. Built-in Gothic architectural style, the church could be crowded during the weekends. The deodar tree in the church garden was planted by the princess Queen Mary of wales.
- Location: Camel’s Back Road
- Timings: 7:00 AM to 6:30 PM
- Entry Fee: N/A
Lal Tibba is one of the highest viewpoints in Mussoorie and a must-visit place in Mussoorie. It is at An altitude of 2,275 meters, a view to the north and the snow-capped peaks are stunning and best at sunrise and sunset from Lal Tibba. In the form of a small terrace, La Tibba has mesmerizing views of the Tibet border. This place is relaxing and has remains of British Architecture.
- Location: Bazar Road, Landour, Mussoorie
- Timings: 6 AM – 6 PM
- Entry Fee: INR 50
Things to do in Mussoorie
Picnic & Boating in Mussoorie Lake
A trip to this gorgeous lake is incomplete without taking a ride on the boat. A picnic by the lakeside is the best and the most loved activity for many individuals. Just get your favorite food, a few glasses of wine, and a bedsheet to snuggle up and soak in the serenity of the cheerful atmosphere.
Trek & Waterfalls
There are many trekking trails in and around this town. The Hathipaon trail is a very famous trail that will take you through the forest as you witness a variety of flora and fauna. There are many beautiful trails all the way to waterfalls, some of the most visited waterfalls are Jharipani Falls, Bhatta falls, and Kempty falls.
Zipline is a thrilling activity present in the adventure park of the town, there are many other adventure activities such as rock climbing, etc.
In Mussoorie, you have lots of opportunities to experience angling. In this, you release the fish after it has been caught. It is recommended to take prior permission from the forest officials before angling.
Winterline is a Natural phenomenon that happens in only Switzerland and Mussoorie, during the evening as the sun goes down below the Shivalik ranges the western horizon, visible from Mussoorie, is filled with the shades of yellow, red, and orange above a grey, and mauve colored strip. This grey and mauve colored strip appears like a false horizon and is referred to as the ‘winterline.’ best time to witness this beautiful phenomenon is from mid-October to mid-January.
Best Hotels and Resorts in Mussoorie
JW Marriott Mussoorie Walnut (Hotel)
JW Marriott Mussoorie walnut grove resort & spa offers an indoor swimming pool, a spa, and wellness center, and a fitness center, Guests can enjoy a game of bowling and billiards. The property has a large kid’s club.
In this j w marriott mussoorie Resort, you will find a sauna and massage parlor. Other facilities offered at the property include entertainment staff, a games room, and a ticket service. The property offers free parking. The hotel is located 6 km from Kempty Fall, and 9 km from Gun Hill Vintage Point.
Zostel Mussoorie (Hotel)
Built on a sprawled land overlooking the green hills of Mussoorie and housing umpteen jungle trails, streams, and mini waterfalls. They also have a facility consisting of a bonfire area, a veranda decorated with benches for the hill view, and a vintage room with a wooden swing board, a tennis table, and board games.
Savoy Hotel Mussoorie (Hotel)
Built-in English Gothic architecture style, The Savoy, Mussoorie is situated 2,500 m above sea level and provides spellbinding views of the Gharwal Hills in Mussoorie. It features 4 dining options, a spa, and a gym.
Savoy Hotel is Fitted with a balcony, elegant rooms are equipped with air conditioning and heating systems, and feature a flat-screen TV with cable channels, a minibar, and an electric kettle. A wardrobe and a personal safe are also included.
Royal Orchid Fort Mussoorie (Resort)
Royal Orchid Fort Resort Mussoorie has located 1 km from the popular Mall Road and 5 km from Mussoorie lake and the Lal Tibba.
In this Resort, you will find a terrace, business center, and meeting/banqueting space. Services like ironing and dry cleaning are provided. The property offers free parking.
Larisha Resort Mussoorie (Resort)
Larisha Resort is Located 8 km from Mussoorie Mall Road, this resort provides guests with a sun terrace and every room comes with a wardrobe, a flat-screen TV, and a private bathroom. Every room has its own private balcony offering a 360-degree view of the mountains, continental breakfast is also served each morning at the Resort.
Sterling Mussoorie (Resort)
Sterling Resort is 2.6 km from Mussoorie town. The accommodation here features a spa and a kid’s space with a variety of activities including chess, table tennis, and air hockey. Free private parking is available on-site, and certain rooms have a balcony that offers mountain views. The resort offers a fitness center, steam room, and 24-hour front desk. It also offers a library and car rental facility.
How to reach Mussoorie
- By Road:-Dehradun the capital of Uttarakhand is well connected by motorable roads. Take the Tehri bypass from Mussoorie and drive down the Mussoorie-Chamba road to reach the town. The major bus stands in town are – Library Bus Stand, Tehri Bus Stand, and Masonic Bus Stand.
- By Rail:- The nearest railway station is in Dehradun which is at a distance of 68km from the town.
- By Air:-The nearest airport to the town is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun. The distance from this airport to Mussoorie is 82km, you can take taxis and direct buses to reach your final destination.
- Thrilling Places to visit in Auli 2023
- Best Travel Guide to Kashmir in 2022
- Best Travel guide to Dhanaulti in 2022
- Mussoorie Travel guide – Best places to Visit 2022
- Places to visit in Binsar 2022
Our More Guides on Uttarakhand:- Click here
Official Travel Website of Uttarakhand:- uttarakhandtourism.gov.in
1 thought on “Mussoorie Travel guide – Best places to Visit 2022”
Pingback: Best Hill Stations In Uttarakhand To Visit In 2022 (Guide)