Uttarakhand has long been called the “Land of the Gods” This State of India have many hill stations due to its location in the Himalayas. Pilgrims have been visiting this land of Gods in the hopes of salvation and purification from sin, for many adventurous people this state has always been a destination for mountaineering, hiking, river rafting, bungee jumping, zip line, and rock climbing in India.
This State has enormous of hill stations with its untouched beauty but here we have filtered some of the best hill stations in Uttarakhand for you, these hill stations have all the ingredients for perfect love making holidays. Stunning views of surrounding mountains, snow-capped Himalayas, unpolluted natural charm, meandering slopes, and up-down pathways sided by lush greenery.
So, here are the listing of the best 7 hill stations in Uttarakhand that you should visit once a life.
Best 6 hill stations in Uttarakhand
Table of Contents
Best 6 hill stations in Uttarakhand
Nainital also called the Laketown of Uttarakhand is famous for its Lake, the amazing view and the pleasant weather. Nainital is the ideal destination to spend your vacations because of its hilly surrounding and the poised lake which made Nainital one of the best hill stations in Uttarakhand. Many people barely know that Nainital city is also referred to as the “Himalayan Resort Town of Uttarakhand”.
Things to do in Nainital
- Boating– The beautiful Naini Lake is the centrepiece of Nainital and boating is the most popular activity among tourists, your visit to Nainital will be incomplete if you do not try popular boat rides.
- Shopping– Tourists can find some local markets, Tibetan markets and Mall Road from where they can do the mesmerizing shopping and one could purchase the souvenirs.
- Ropeway & Picnic Spots– Nainital has a ropeway that connects the town to a Snow viewpoint from where you could see snow-capped Himalayas ranges and also find some adventurous activities in Adventure Park. There are also some picnic spots- China Peak and Tiffin Top
- Trekking & Hiking– There are several hiking trails in Nainital where adventure lovers explore nature. There are some popular treks- Nainital Betalghat Trek, Nainital Binayak Trek, Nainital Kainchi Trek, and Nainital Kilbury trek.
Best Time To Visit Nainital
The best time to visit Nainital is from February to May the Spring and Summer time in India. The temperature during these months is between 7°C and 27°C.
If your ultimate goal is to see snowfall then you could visit from October to January when the mountains are covered with white powder.
How to reach Nainital
- Nearest Railway Station:- KathGodam 41km away from Nainital Centre
- Nearest Airport:- Pantnagar 72 km away from Nainital Centre
- By Road:- Bus Facility is available
Know more about Nainital: Click Here
Due to the location of Binsar, it is one of the best hill stations in Uttarakhand, it offers spellbinding views of the majestic Himalayan peaks such as Chaukhamba, Trishul, Nanda Devi, Shivling and Panchachuli. Some local says that it is named after Bineshwar Mahadev Temple. The sleepy and picturesque hamlet is one of the most scenic locations in the Kumaon hills of Binsar. The main attraction of Binsar is the 300 km of majestic and panoramic view of Himalayan peaks from Binsar Zero point.
Best Time to Visit Binsar
Although the weather is very pleasant here the best time to visit Binsar is between October to November. One of the best things to see here is Nanda Devi’s auspicious festival showcasing rich culture.
If one wants to witness crystal clear splendid Himalayan views then December and February are the best months to visit the region.
Things to do in Binsar
- Binsar Zero Point:- Binsar Zero Point is the highest point of the Binsar Wildlife, from where one can see a 360-degree view of the Himalayan beauties like Kedarnath, Shivling, Trishul and the group of the Nanda Devi peaks. The breathtaking natural beauty around Binsar Zero Point attracts people to visit here once a lifetime.
- Binsar Sanctuary Safari:- Binsar Wildlife sanctuary is rich in its flora and fauna, Jeep safari is a very popular way to explore the Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary. The entry ticket for this sanctuary is Rs 50.
- Bineshwar Mahadev Temple:- Bineshwar Mahadev temple is one of the main tourist spots in Binsar, Everything is just very peaceful there and it is visited by a number of tourists.
- Nature Walk:- Go for the early morning walks and explore the splendid forest and surroundings in Binsar.
How to reach Binsar
- By Train:- Nearest Railway station is situated in KathGodam which is around 120km from the Centre.
- By Airplane:- Nearest Airport is situated at Pantnagar which is around 127km from the centre.
- By Road:- Binsar have Motarable roads which are well connected to all the major cities in Uttarakhand. Distance from Almora is 30km and from Nainital, it is around 96km.
Know more about Binsar: Click Here
Dhanaulti is a small town near Mussoorie, beautifully nestled amid the lofty Himalayan peaks. It can be a destination in itself, but it’s more of a serene pit stop for travellers heading for longer journeys or leisure Uttarakhand holidays. This hilly town is enveloped by the velvety rhododendrons, deodar, and tall oak forests that provide a splendid surreal beauty. Since the hill station has heavy snowfall during winters, many tourists flock here in huge numbers. Dhanaulti is emerging as a popular weekend destination because it is easily accessible.
Best time to visit Dhanaulti
The best time to visit Dhanaulti is between the months of April to June and this is Peak season in Dhanaulti you will find pleasant sunny days and mild chilly nights. In this season you can do nature walks, treks, adventure activities, and visit parks.
If you are fond of snow then you could visit Dhanaulti between November to February you will witness snowfall, and you will also see the picturesque snow-covered mountains.
Things to do in Dhanaulti
- Surkanda Devi Temple:-Located at a distance of 8km, trek uphill for about 3 kilometres to reach the temple, marvel at the view of the valley and lush greenery, enjoy the pleasant weather and click pictures of mist-covered trees.
- Adventure Activities in Eco Park:-Eco parks of Amber and Dhara are also fun places for families and kids. There is a lot of open area for kids to run around and play games, thus making it the top choice among the many sightseeing places in Dhanaulti for families.
- Shopping in Dhanaulti:- You can buy souvenirs from local vendors and the Pashmina Shawls, Stoles, and scarves from Himalayan weavers which are completely made of natural dyes and silk.
- Jabarkhet Nature Reserve:- Perfectly Heaven for Nature Lovers one could go for birdwatching, choose from eight walking trails with different types of trees, mushrooms and flowers well-demarcated on the field guide maps, and explore more than 300 varieties of wildflowers and over 60 species of mushrooms.
How to reach Dhanaulti
- By Air- Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest airport from Dhanaulti at a distance of 83km, Airport is well connected with Delhi daily flights.
- By Rail- The nearest railway station is situated at Rishikesh and Dehradun at a distance of 83km and 60km respectively from Dhanaulti.
- By Road- Dhanaulti is well connected with motorable roads. Route :- Delhi-Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Roorkee-Haridwar-Rishikesh-Narendra Nagar-Chamba-kanatal-Dhanaulti
Know more about Binsar: Click Here
A captivating paradise for leisure travellers and honeymooners, it is a perfect summer resort. Located on a 15-km-long horseshoe ridge with the grand Himalayas as a backdrop, Mussoorie spreads across at a height of 2,000 m above sea level. It is also known as Queen of the Hills, one of the best hill stations in Uttarakhand. Many famous personalities have made Mussoorie their home.
Best time to visit Mussoorie
The best time to visit Mussoorie is in the summer season of India from April to mid-July at this time the weather is ideal for sightseeing and nature walks and this is the peak season in Mussorie
Another good time to visit Mussoorie is from September to mid-November to experience the breathtaking views of the snow-covered Himalayas.
December to February is the best time to experience snow in Mussoorie. Avoid visiting Mussoorie during the monsoon from 15 July to 15 September.
Things to do in Mussoorie
- Landour:-Take a day visit to Landour situated at the east end of town, Landour is a British-era cantonment, Landour was home to several Indian royal families as well, before Independence. The Landour Bazaar is a very popular shopping area.
- Zip line:– Visit Mussoorie Adventure Park to try hands at some of the best adventurous activities like zip-lining, rock climbing etc.
- Winterline:-Natural phenomenon that is visible from only a few places in the world one of which being Mussoorie. During evening as the sun goes down below the Shivalik ranges the western horizon, visible from Mussoorie, is filled with various shades of yellow, red and orange above a grey, and mauve coloured strip. This grey and mauve coloured strip appears like a false horizon and is referred to as the ‘winter line.’ Visible from mid-October to mid-January tourists especially flock to the hill station to witness the winter line
- Gun Hill:- This is the highest point on the Mall road, you need to take a cable car ride to reach the summit of Gun Hill. The thrill of the ride is memorable, and the peak offers majestic views of the surroundings. A gun was installed atop this hill by the British in 1865, which used to be fired daily at noon to indicate the time and It was famously named “Gun-hill”.
How to reach Mussoorie
- By Air:-The nearest airport is Jolly Grant at Dehradun (82 km). Taxis are available from the airport.
- By Rail:-The nearest railway station is in Dehradun which is around 68 km from Mussoorie.
- By Road:-Dehradun is well connected by roads. Take the Tehri bypass from Mussoorie and drive down the Mussoorie-Chamba road.
Know more about Binsar: Click Here
The hill station is located on slopes and has far stretching meadows that look surreal to the eyes. Auli is fondly referred to as a place where nature comes alive in all its glory. It is rich in natural resources and offers a stunning landscape of the surrounding hills. Auli is a Himalayan ski resort and one of the best hill station in Uttarakhand. It’s surrounded by coniferous and oak forests.
Best time to visit Auli
Best time to visit Auli in summer is from April to June you will experience pleasant weather. May to November are fairly pleasant in Auli and are the right months for exploring the nature in Auli.
The best time to visit Auli for skiing is from December to March. However, the best season to visit Auli is throughout the year.
Things to do in Auli
- Auli Skiing:- Auli’s untouched slopes are a dream for skiing lovers. Its 4 to 5-km-long ice snow covered slopes are perfect for professionals and beginners. There are ski training schools and organizations.
- Auli Ropeway:- Enjoy the Auli’s ropeway between Joshimath and Gurson (near Auli), that passes over rolling slopes and meandering trails through dense oak forests. One of the longest ropeways in India, it covers an approximate distance of 4 km amidst the snow-capped mountains with patches of green, offering breathtaking views of the Garhwal mountains.
- Trekking:- From Auli you can trek to Himalayan peaks such as Nanda Devi, Kamat, Mana Parvat and Dunagiri. Joshimath to Auli is about 14 km.
- Visit a Auli Artificial lake:- Auli has the highest artificial lake in the world, it provides a serene and calm atmosphere. The flawless turquoise lake bordered by lush green slopes, looks picture-perfect and one can reach through the cable car.
How to reach Auli
- By Rail:-Dehradun’s Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest airport to Auli (about 286 km away). One can heire a cab from the airport and made it to Auli.
- By Air:- The nearest railway station to Auli is Rishikesh that is around 255 km away. Visitors can take buses both state and private, cabs from Rishikesh to Joshimath and Auli.
- By Road:-Auli is well-connected by motorable road and can be reached from all major districts of the state.
Located in the foothills of the Himalayas along the convergence of Ganga and Chandrabhaga River, Rishikesh is a small town in the Dehradun, It is located close to Haridwar in Uttarakhand. Rishikesh has gained popularity over the last few years as an popular place for adventure lovers. The city offers a myriad of adventure sports like river rafting to bungee jumping, cliff jumping, firefox, waterfall trekking, kayaking, swing, to rock climbing.
Best time to visit Rishikesh
Rishikesh is a round year destinations for many sport lovers. The best time to visit Rishikesh for white water rafting is from September-June and November. Another good time to visit Rishikesh is from February to early May with a pleasant weather.
Things to do in Rishikesh
- Visit Shivpuri:-Located at a distance of 19 km from Rishikesh, Shivpuri has emerged as a popular tourist destination due to the thrilling white water rafting experience. The most common rafting stretch is around 11 km from Shivpuri to Lakshman Jhula.
- Bungee Jumping:-Mohanchatti in Rishikesh is the place exactly meant for bungee jumping. Visit this place to jump from a height of 83m
- Rafting:- Rafting is an extremely popular adventure sports in Ganga River, one can find many certified and authorised operators and instructors here for every grade of rafting.
- Rock Climbing:-The craggy mountains here attract many people around the India. There are several private vendors who offer rock climbing experience.
- Yoga:- Ashram and luxurious resorts both offer yoga sessions and courses, Rishikesh has something for every yoga enthusiast.
How to Reach Rishikesh
- By Rail:-Rishikesh is well-connected by major railway network with major cities of India.
- By Road:-Rishikesh is well connected by motorable roads and with other major cities of Uttarakhand.
- By Air:-Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest Airport to Rishikesh at a distance of around 21kms. Taxis are easily available from Airport to Rishikesh.